A while back I wrote an article called 33 Blog Topics for Photographers and, well, I’m sure you can guess what that contained. I’ve had several folks tell me it was helpful.
Back by popular demand, here are 33 more ideas for things that photographers can blog about. As with the previous list, you’ll want to keep your blog’s audience in mind – are you writing for clients? For other photographers? For your vendor partners? Some other group?
Shooting / Gear Blog Topics for Photographers
- Write about some of your favorite local outdoor venues for photography
- Explain why you use natural light, lighting gear, or both
- Explain why you have backup gear
- Explain how you chose which brand(s) of camera you use
- How do you carry/transport your gear, and why?
- Write about a piece of gear you carry with you that clients have never heard of, but write about it from the perspective of how it helps them end up with better images
- Write about how you prepare for a photoshoot
Clients / Business Topics
- Why you’re a member of a professional organization (PPA, ASMP, etc)
- Why you’re not a member of such an organization
- Showcase images featuring one of your vendor partners (florist, caterer, etc)
- Write about what sorts of things are in your contract (and why)
- Show an example of how a client is using your image
- Explain how a client should choose a photographer in your niche
- Explain how the fact that you’re an experienced photo veteran (or how you bring fresh new eyes)
- Write about how you handle licensing and rights management
- Why do you sell prints vs. digital files (or both)
- When (and how far in advance) to plan for photography in advance of holidays
- How do you determine what size print is appropriate for a wall or display?
- Share some frequently asked questions (and answers) that you get from prospective clients
- Write a post thanking a local vendor, business, or person who has helped your photography ventures
- Share a story of something funny that happened on a photoshoot
- Explain why, based on your pricing, your clients get more value than they pay for
Creativity / Inspiration Blog Topics
- Explain what you bring to the photography session beyond just making the photo the client thinks they want
- Share ways of displaying your images beyond basic prints or digital files
- Explain how the time of day can affect the mood and lighting of an outdoor image
- Write about how you learn new photographic things
- Share a personal photography project
- Feature any volunteer or community service work related to your photography
- Explain how you make posing, positioning, staging, or timing decisions
- Share your rationale behind your style of retouching, editing, or post-processing
- Write about some creative photo display options you offer that aren’t available from the typical consumer retail lab (drugstores, big box stores, etc)
- Share a series of images in one blog post that reflects a common topic or theme. For example: wedding rings, or outdoor men’s portraits, or photobooth examples, or hot air balloons, or… you get the idea.
- Share examples of creative ways to use a photo on a business card
What have I missed? Are there other good blog topics for photographers that have worked for you?